Since the road was first built, we have taken very seriously our duty to protect the environment.
- During the construction of the M6toll, we planted over 1 million trees and shrubs, translocated rare heathland and relocated ancient hedges. We also created noise mounds and noise reduction fencing in combination with quiet road surfacing to minimise the noise impact of vehicles using the road.
- 18 new ecological ponds and 20 balancing ponds were created to manage water run-off from the road.
- Today we work with ecology specialists to protect a wide range of local wildlife including: water voles, badgers, otters, bats, great crested newts and white-clawed crayfish (both protected species).
- We sponsored the Green Arc Partnership, which was formed to enhance the rural and urban fringe affected by the building of the M6toll.
- In 2005 we introduced environmentally friendly lighting along the M6toll.
- Accreditation to ISO 14001.
- We are continuously working towards reducing our carbon emissions and introducing more renewable energy sources.
- We play an important role in helping to reduce vehicle emissions across the Midlands.
View our Environmental Statement:
Keep in Touch
Sign up to receive our latest news and offers
This form collects your name and email so that we can add you to our newsletter list for news updates.